Wednesday, April 25, 2012

vaccines for thailand, malaysia or singapore

Hello, I am travelling to all of the above countries - Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia for a 3 week trip starting this December. I really want to avoid all vaccines - I am a doctor myself! Any suggestions besides Deet? I am also going to consult with a homeopathic travel doc. My American friend has lived in Southease Asia and he said I would be fine. I don%26#39;t want to be stupid but I don%26#39;t think I will be that exposed if I am mainly city travelling (no hiking) and have a history of some digestive problems. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Lifetraveller63



vaccines for thailand, malaysia or singapore


As you are a Doctor you know the risks but we travel a few times a year to Asia mainly to Thailand but also to Singapore and Malaysia but did have the Hep A shots. We did that after a lot of advice but mainly because of the food handling and water in Asia and not wanting to be concerned about enjoying our time.





Never worry about Malaria treatment, actually even hate Deet so have used on Thai advice the Citronella spray (which can be bought from the supermarkets or chemist) it smells so much better but would depend where you are going. I%26#39;m sure other people will have varying opinions but we have done this over many years and travel mainly the off season%26#39;s of Thailand so wet weather etc.





In Bangkok I don%26#39;t think we have ever seen a mosquito but will check that out in a couple of weeks when we return.



vaccines for thailand, malaysia or singapore


No jabs required, but mosquitos can come out anywhere there is fresh/stagnant water, especially at dusk. The above advise is good. High floor rooms in hotels will have fewer mossies than lower floors. Don%26#39;t leave mossie screens/and or windows wide open as you will invite them in.






After being to Thailand numerous times and not doing much more than use insect repellant, I lined up the family today and gave them the Hep A vaccine. Am having a drink of wine now to psych myself up to get mine!



I am not sure what made me get it for this trip, but I just hear the phrase ';faecal- oral'; transmission and it gives me the shivers.





I do think you should be up to date with your tetanus, but that isn%26#39;t just for travel, but regardless.





I would be more concerned regards dengue fever as I keep hearing about people who have caught this and have been really ill. So you are on the right track with the DEET.



Enjoy your holiday




Have done a fair bit of research on the dengue fever ourselves but sounds essential to just be protected from the mossies and for dengue fever that special mossie that can be around in the day.





Pretty certain we can get Dengue Fever in northern Qld so not only happens in Asia. Think you will have no problems with the Hep A shot Ella107, we certainly didn%26#39;t and its good peace of mind.




I%26#39;ve lived in Thailand for 7 years and would recommend getting the following immunizations:





Hepatitis A



Typhoid



Rabies





I have know a few people who have picked up Hep A traveling in SE Asia, so who knows which country is to blame.





Typhoid I had never thought about until a young friend of mine only 21 years old got Typhoid here in Thailand. He was down for a month, and out of things for another 5 months. I went got the vaccine pills right away when I saw that.





Rabies - This one is a personal choice. If you spend a lot of time around animals or just can%26#39;t resist petting the stray dogs in Thailand, I would. It%26#39;s more of a precautionary thing. I like to travel to more remote areas where I might not have access to major hospital that has the correct shot for a few days, so I got the RabiPur 3 shot series just in case. Besides if I ever do get bit, I don%26#39;t have to have as many boosters.





Dengue Fever is rather bad right now, primarily in the NorthWest ie. Pai / Mae Hong Son. I have a friend there that owns a restaurant and he came down with it a little over a month ago. He%26#39;s fine now, but he said that the local clinic%26#39;s beds are still full. Just take some precautions during the day and odds are on your side that you%26#39;ll be fine.





Like I said, I%26#39;ve been here 7 years and no problems and I%26#39;ve only witnessed a few. The odds are in your favor regardless.





Have a safe and stellar trip!





Aloha




Hi, last night i was at the doctors and got the Hep A and Typhoid which is mixed into one shot and cheaper than buying seperately $117 AUS per person for both shots.... and i think one more hep a shot before we go althought the doctor said there should be some immunity..... but i wouldnt mind getting the last one couple of days before i go moust be approx one month in between each needle.... i was told...and they dont hurt one bit.






Our doctor recommended Hep A %26amp; typhoid (combined shot $117 each). We also got a tetanus shot.





I%26#39;d prefer to have the jab and enjoy my holiday rather than suffer the consquences of the illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment