Saturday, April 21, 2012

Tourist Visa question

Hi everyone,





I have read that you do not need a visa if you are visiting thailand for up to 30days (if you are from the UK).





Please can someone tell me if that is inclusive of the thirtieth day? We are looking to arrive in BKK on the 23rd March at 1205 and leave BKK at 01:25, which is exactly 30 days.





I just need to know if I would need a visa for that, or if I am covered without one. I don%26#39;t want to get into trouble on departure!





Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :-)



Tourist Visa question


Actually, you already have to leave on the 21st.





The first day you arrive is counted as one day and the day you leave is also counted as one day.





So it is



23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 1



2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11



12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21





If you count the days it will add up to 30 days.



Tourist Visa question


My uderstanding is that you are fined 500baht per day for an overstay, up to a max of 20,000 baht. The fine is normally waived for the first day so for a 31 day stay you should be good.




BobnJanette, don%26#39;t make people break the law, even when they will wave the fine for %26#39;some%26#39; %26#39;tourists%26#39;.





People need to plan their holiday correct and not assume too many things because someone told them so.





It is an offense to overstay your visa.



It is at the immigration officers discretion if they are fined or not.




Agree with Flamand. The post by BobandJanette is very foolish. You may end up in strife in the officer is in a bad mood.




Am I confused here. I thought the OP said that they were in the country for 30 days, and leaving on the 30th day???





Furthermore, if the flight departs at 01:25hrs, they would possibly (or could) be doing outward clearances before midnight.




BobnJanette, that is just an assumption you make, with what you are telling them, it could end up with them not getting fined but missing their plane because of an administrative issue.





Passing the immigration officers before midnight and leaving Thailand after midnight doesn%26#39;t make a difference.





At day 29 (before midnight) they have to pass immigration and on day 30 (after midnight) their plane departs.




And for the OP, if you only intend to stay for 30 days, you will be fine with the tourist visa exemption.





If you want to be completely sure, you can always apply for a 60 day tourist visa which allows you to stay up to 60 days in Thailand. The fee for it is about 28£ per entry. check your embassy for multiple entry tourist visa, which you might need if you plan to travel around in Asia and want to get back to Thailand.




Thanks for all your advice, although I must admit I would not even consider overstaying a visa anywhere in the world, especially with a 2 year to take care of standing in line beside us!





The day of departure will be day 30 and I was looking for confirmation that this was definitely the last day. So, that seems fine, I thought it was but I wanted to ask just in case I had mis-understood.





Thanks again :-)




It%26#39;s me again,





I have just realised part of my original question was missing, no departure date!!





Sorry about that - we are flying into Thailand on 23 March and departing 21 April, so that is exactly 30 days.





So we are ok with no visa!




For absolute confirmation and peace of mind phone the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull, Tel: 01482 581668

No comments:

Post a Comment