Thursday, March 29, 2012

Metered taxis in Phuket

I have the number for the metered taxis, thanks to Chantal, but I have read elsewhere that they will not drop or pick up in Patong. I have also read that they do not want to turn the meter on and end up costing abut the same as a tuk tuk. Anyone have any experience of this in regard to just travelling around Phuket and not just from the airport ?



Thanks to anyone who can help. Doing my best to avoid paying 500 Baht from Bang Tao to Patong or alternately paying 1500B per day for a driver.



Michelle



Metered taxis in Phuket


When we were there last year they had fixed prices for travel to the different areas and they all seemed to be the same. Don%26#39;t know if that still apples but would rather have a taxi for 200baht then a tuk Tuk.





Certainly more expensive in Phuket than in Bangkok.



Metered taxis in Phuket


Hi Barkem,





Thanks for answering butI didn%26#39;t mean a normal car that poses as a taxi. I meant one with a proper meter, the same as the ones at the airport.





Michelle




proper metered taxis cant oprrate in phuket due to the tuk tuk mafia




Thanks Andy,



I didn%26#39;t know this, but it sounds about right. The majority of those tuk tuk drivers are thieves of the highest order and would rather earn nothing than do a reasonable fare. In comparison to cab drivers in Bangkok, they must be making an extremely good wage.



Michelle




Meter taxis are easy to find when you arrive at the Aiport, but they are very scarce from then on. They are rarely seen in Patong - no doubt due to tuk tuk mafia as Andy points out.





I suggest you get the drivers cards if you like their service and go from there.





***




Hi Beach8um,



I don%26#39;t remember seeing them around Phuket much either. I will try their advertised number and I have a number from a card passed on to me. I%26#39;ll post when I get back to tell you if I have any luck.



Thanks for the reply.



Michelle




Hi Michelle.





In regards to %26#39;they must be making an extremely good wage.%26#39; - I chatted with one in Patong at about 2:30 in the afternoon, He started at 8 and had two fares for the day, one to Karon %26amp; one locally. When you walk down the beach road there are heaps waiting. If you stop somewhere pay attention, they hardly move, and then arrogantly refuse to budge from their ridiculous fare. Maybe in the summer high season they might do well. As far as I%26#39;ve seen they don%26#39;t, and I don%26#39;t feel sorry for them. They are lying thieves over populating Phuket. I feel sorry for those that choose to stay in isolated areas, these people are sitting ducks and have no option but to be fleeced by these extortionist thugs. BTW, the fuel price difference between Patong and Bangkok is only a few baht/liter, nowhere near a cost justifying their prices.





If only they%26#39;d realise that by charging a sensible rate, say 35 baht for anywhere within Patong, and work on volume they%26#39;d be run off their feet and make a reasonable wage.





We walk as much as we can to avoid feeding their crime.




Hi Pokip,



I cannot fathom their greed and stupidity. Like you say, charge a reasonable fare and most people wouldn%26#39;t bother walking in the heat from one end of Patong to the other. It seems that now the minimum fare is 200B anywhere. Unbelievable, that%26#39;s about $7AUD and I%26#39;ll be buggered if I am going to pay that to go a really short distance, sometimes even a few hundred metres. If they charged a couple of dollars from one end to the other, I%26#39;d gladly pay, but until that happens, like you, I will be walking as much as possible. Unfortunately I cannot walk from where we are staying into Patong so we will limit our trips and also see which restaurants are willing to give complimentary transport. I know that some of the better ones do.



Michelle




Excellent points pokip! My sentiments exactly.





I avoided them like the plague due to their extortionistic pricing schedules.





Why not charge 100B instead of 300B to the same short distance? Take 10 times as many people and just think of the tips.





For example I got a tuk tuk from Patong to Fantasea for 150B, but I had to walk past about 3 of them who would not budge off 300B. I paid the guy 200B or so anyway when we got out. Nice bloke actually.





For the return journey, every tuk tuk in the taxi rank said ';400B only'; They were quite rude and gruff. No bargaining accepted. One said ';WALK THEN!';





So, I did! Walked all the way down to the beach road intending to hire a passing tuk tuk before one broke away from the rank and took me for 200B. (But gotta tell you it was a bit dodgy walking around there at night!)





Its not the money - its the principle of the matter. I just don%26#39;t like to be the ';sucker tourist';.





***




Hi



If you need a reliable and fairly priced driver with car in Phuket I have the man for you!



He is Chay and he can be contacted by email on





Chaypatong@hotmail.com



I know several people who contact him in advance of arriving in Phuket and we will collect at airport and do any transport needs during their time in Phuket. He is very reasonable priced and has a good airconditioned vehicle. He will not rip you off and is always so polite and knowlegeable of the area. Much better than those pesky tuk tuk drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment